Saturday, May 25, 2013

Never Swim When There's No Life Guard And Never Swim Alone!

And Never swim out further; than you can swim back to shore from, in 30 seconds.
How to Perform CPR


Picture Illustrations How to Do CPR on an Adult The summer season has begun and I just wanted to share my experiences and some good advice about swimming safety.

I keep reading in the New Jersey news about young people drowning. So I wrote this for everyone, everywhere.

Rip Tides (current)

An extremely strong channel of water flowing seaward from near the shore (see photos), through the surf line. National Weather Service-Rip Current Safety

Typical flow is at 0.5 metres per second (1–2 feet per second), and can be as fast as 2.5 metres per second (8 feet per second).

Rip Current



I grew up in Bayonne and Southern New Jersey (Brick Town. About 20 miles from Seaside Heights Boardwalk) and spent every summer swimming in its ocean and occasionally in its lakes. But mostly in the ocean.

I've swam at beaches, from Point Pleasant to Atlantic City.

The ocean is not a place for an inexperienced swimmer, no matter how calm it looks.

If caught in an outgoing tide; or rip tide, Don't Try To Swim In To The Shore. SWIM SIDEWAYS FROM ONE SIDE OF THE BEACH TO THE OTHER. Rip tides are sudden and are only in parts of the water.

Don't panic. If you swim sideways you will swim out of the rip tide affected water. It's impossible to fight the tide and try to swim in. It will just keep pulling you out further

The ocean may look beautiful, inviting and fun, but it can also be very dangerous for anyone who is not a strong swimmer. If you don't swim really good. Swim in the motel pool and stay in the shallow end. Pools can be dangerous too!

Never Mix Alcohol/Drugs With Activities Near Or In The Water!

Always wear a life jacket (swim vest), if you are not an experienced swimmer and always, when boating.

Teach Children To Swim!

Children's Swim Vests

Adult's Swim Vests

(I have no interests in these above companies. I just wanted to provide some links where economical swim vests were available).

Use caution when swimming in lakes, rivers, streams and generally everywhere.
Riverbeds, streams etc, often contain tree roots and other debris that a swimmer can get caught on. 

The fresh water, unlike the salt water of the ocean, doesn't provide any buoyancy which helps you to float .

Buoyancy Salt Water vs. Fresh Water
by Chris Sullivan
Also, the mud bottoms can pull one down.

Always wear a bathing suit when swimming (or at the most, cotton shorts and a tee shirt). Do Not wear heavy clothing, like jeans. You'll sink like a stone!

When in a desperate situation in the water you do not need an extra 8 pounds (aprox weight of a wet pair of jeans) pulling you down!

I learned how to swim by age five using a swim/life vest. I still almost drowned in a lake, once when I was a teenager.

I was just wading and stepped into a drop (also called a dip). The next thing I knew, I was over my head and going down.

I was wearing jeans and they became heavy as lead and were pulling me under and that was it!

Luckily I had the time to tear them off and then I managed to struggle back up to the surface.

At the time I was surrounded by people close enough to almost touch me. But apparently no one saw me go under.

I am a most experienced swimmer. If I can almost drown, anyone can!

NEVER SWIM, WHERE THERE IS NO LIFEGUARD PRESENT AND NEVER SWIM ALONE!

And Never jump into unfamiliar water. As well as never dive into unfamiliar water.

One never knows how deep the water is, local and current tide strength, whether it's full of large rocks and other hazards that one can hit.

And Never, Drink And Drive!



Mothers Against Drunk Driving/Quotations

Drunk Driving Prevention Tools
Make a Plan and Stick to the Plan!

Peace
ga

The Greater Newark/New York Fresh Air Fund Sends Children To Camp