Thursday, July 12, 2012

Never Swim When There's No Life Guard!

Rip Tides (current) An extremely strong channel of water flowing seaward from near the shore (see photos), through the surf line. National Weather Service-Rip Current Safety

Typical flow is at 0.5 metres per second (1–2 feet per second)
, and can be as fast as 2.5 metres per second (8 feet per second).

Rip Current


I keep reading in the New Jersey news about young people drowning in the ocean. I've been commenting on FB and decided I really needed to write a post about this.

I grew up in Southern New Jersey (Brick Town. About 20 miles from Seaside Heights Boardwalk) and spent my summers swimming in its ocean and occasionally in its lakes. But mostly in the ocean.

I've swam at beaches, from Point Pleasant to Atlantic City.

The ocean is not a place for an inexperienced swimmer, no matter how calm it looks.

If caught in a outgoing tide; or rip tide, Don't Try To Swim In To The Shore. SWIM SIDEWAYS FROM ONE SIDE OF THE BEACH TO THE OTHER. Rip tides are sudden and are only in parts of the water.

Don't panic. If you swim sideways you will swim out of the rip tide affected water. It's impossible to fight the tide and try to swim in. It will just keep pulling you out further

The ocean may look beautiful, inviting and fun, but it can also be very dangerous for anyone who is not a strong swimmer. If you don't swim really good. Swim in the motel pool!

Always wear a life jacket (swim vest), if you are not an experienced swimmer and always, when boating.

Swim Vests For Adults

Childrens Swim Vests

Use caution when swimming in lakes, rivers, streams, etc. The mud bottoms can pull one down.

The fresh water; unlike the salt water of the ocean, doesn't provide any buoyancy which helps you to float . Also; riverbeds, streams etc, often contain tree roots and other debris that a swimmer can get caught on.

Always wear a bathing suit when swimming. Do Not wear heavy clothing, like jeans. You'll sink like a stone!

I learned how to swim by age five using a life vest.
I still almost drowned in a lake, once when I was a teenager.

I was just wading and stepped into a drop (also called a dip). The next thing I knew, I was over my head and going down.

I was wearing jeans and they became heavy as lead and were pulling me under and that was it!

Luckily I had the time to tear them off and then I managed to struggle back up to the surface.

At the time I was surrounded by people close enough to almost touch me. But apparently no one saw me go under.

I am a most experienced swimmer. If I can almost drown, anyone can!

NEVER SWIM, WHERE THERE IS NO LIFEGUARD PRESENT!

♥♥♥
Greater Newark/New York Fresh Air Fund Seeks Supporters To Send Children To Camp.